Yield: 3 servings
- 2-3 servings of pasta (I used fusili)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8-oz sliced cremini mushrooms (2-3 cups sliced)*
- 1-1.5 cups canned diced tomatoes, to taste
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4-1/3 cup nutritional yeast, to taste
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in your pasta and cook until Al dente, about 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Stir in the sliced mushrooms and diced tomato and cook for another 8-10 minutes or so over medium-high heat, until some of the water cooks off.
- Stir in the fresh basil, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes. Add salt to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes or so and adjust seasonings to taste if desired.
- Drain pasta and add back into the pot. Stir in the pasta sauce, heat, and serve immediately with Cheezy Garlic Bread if you’d like.